Monday, January 16, 2023

DT - Passer of Sacraments

Today was a cool day.  They recently combined our anemic ward with another ward that they had to break up because it was so large--much to the chagrin and even anger of those ward members. In that process we changed buildings to the one right behind Chris' house and moved our start time up to 9am.  It's pretty hard to get kids up on a Sunday for church that early and even harder to get them up earlier to prepare the sacrament.  But we did and today we got to watch something really fulfilling as parents.

All three of our boys had a hand in preparing, blessing, passing and caring for the sacrament.  Even David.  Yesterday we had a small ceremony here in our home where I ordained him to the Aaronic priesthood and the office of Deacon.  Man, that was neat.  Bishop Christiansen, Meema, Buhpa, Grandma Susie, PK, KK, Ava, Stellie-toot-toots, and Tyler all made it for the morning ceremony.  There are few pleasures I have that are more important to me or treasured longer than the opportunity to participate in these events.  I remember each one.  

It was, of note, a touch bitter sweet.  Since all of our boys are now in Young Men's the corollary to that statement is that we no longer have any children in nursery or primary.  They are growing up and that to a small degree makes me nostalgically sad.  David still climbs up and cuddles on my lap.  He's almost too big but I don't want to admit that because I'd lose this fleeting opportunity. 

Last night BG went on his 1st 16-year-old date.  He met a cute girl name Malia at a stake dance.  I guess she goes to Lehi HS.  Turns out she has a cute friend named Lia who caught the fancy of Brigham's friend Isaac.  So, they set up a double date at Malia's house to watch a movie and hang out.  And hold hands.  Brigham is now 16 and has a license and is very excited to take his friends out, now that he can drive.  He already tagged the Sorento with a sticker on the back window of the Skyridge Falcon so as to try and lay claim on my car.  Good try buddy.  

As he's walking out the door I dropped the best dad joke of my young dad career. "Hey BG, when you get there are you planning to introduce the girls to Isaac like, 'This is Malia, and that is your Lia.'" He's still rolling his eyes and sighing.  I hope he tried it.  I love these boys like crazy.  It's hard being parents to teenagers but we're getting better. 

No comments: