Sunday, June 19, 2022

Hail to the Patriarch

It's been busy around here.  Really busy.  The boys spent a week at BYU doing FSY camp while I was in Phoenix last weekend trying to convince a broke airplane to fly so that I could get home.  And not 20 minutes too early because I ran in the house, said hi to everyone and then jumped straight into the shower.  I got dressed and ran out to the car where Brigham and Michelle were waiting for me to drive over to the Stake Patriarch's house.  We were welcomed in to the living room where we chatted for a second to get to know each other a bit and then Patriarch Howes took BG into the front room where they talked a little more about the blessing.  The rest of us were invited in and the blessing was then pronounced on his cute little head.  

I have to admit something.  I peaked.  The entire time.  I watched this boy and saw something that I don't get to see every day.  He was somber, he recognized the importance of the event and was paying it all due respect.  I personally felt the spirit very strongly.  At one point my long tall stoic son even began to cry.  I've never seen that before.  

When I was a young man, I remember standing up and carrying my baby to the front of the chapel to be presented to our congregation and given a name and baby blessing.  In that moment the heavens were open to me for just a moment to feel how great and wonderful my son has always been and still will be.  I felt and saw that again in this patriarchs front room.  Brigham is a remarkable person.  I am trying my hardest to teach and raise him properly but man I can't wait until he is ready to do whatever it is that the Lord has in store for him to do.  He is one of the greatest among us.  I love him very much.

Fast forward to today.  It's Fathers Day.  I wasn't TDY this weekend but it still seemed to be a rush to get to the Patriarch's house.  This time it was Mackay's turn.  Mackay as a whole is incredibly capable and competent.  He seems to lack a belief in himself, a confidence in his abilities.  I can't count how many times we have drug him to football practice, to school competitions, to friend parties, to a million other things and he has sworn up and down that he cannot do these things and then once there he realizes that he can, and they are fun.  He comes home with great excitement and resolve.  His blessing was like that again.  

The set up was almost the same.  It was nice to talk with Sister Howes, she is a genuinely sweet person.  the blessing began again and again I just watched my son.  He couldn't stop smiling.  Brilliant, soul-full smiles.  At the end he was most proud that he was promised he could be there in the morning of the first resurrection, that he was there in the premarital existence cheering for the Lord's plan and that he would be able to find a cute and faithful girl to marry.  

I love this boy.  He brings me great joy.  He is growing into his own and will become the man that the blessing has outlined.  If he does, I could not think of anything better that I could hope for. 

No comments: