Tuesday, July 28, 2015

David "Cannonball" Bradbury

My wife left me. Took the kids, packed the car and just drove away.  

You see I was supposed to be gone for a few months shooting bad guys in bad places but one day a week or two before my scheduled departure I got called into the boss’s office and he told me I’d been requested by his boss to go work in the command post.  It seemed like a cool opportunity and plus I’d get to be home all summer. 

I came home with the exciting news, “I don’t have to deploy Honey! Isn’t that great?”  “That’s wonderful dear, I’ll see you after my summer vacation.” wait what?  She had already planned to spend this time away in Utah and Idaho with family and it was too far along in the process to change it on the whim of a commander.  And so here sit I, a bachelor. 

Anyway, the boys have had amazing experiences with their cousins.  They climbed to the Y in Provo, topped Table Rock in the Grand Tetons, voraciously swam in Aunt KK’s pool and climbed many rocks in Vernal.  It has been a wonderful experience and I’m very grateful for such good family to take care of my little family while I’m away. 

Now they are in Idaho.  After Church last week David climbs into his Buhpa’s truck while Michelle and the other Blondies climbed into the van.  Like anything else in the Blondies lives, this immediately became a competition; one which David did not intend to lose.  Now the following is a direct quote, so prepare yourselves.

“Buhpa, this is how you win:
     1)    Get a Head Start
     2)    Go Turbo Speed
     3)    Cheat
     4)    Fire Rockets at Mommie’s Car”

I laughed rather heartily when I heard this.  So much so that I went online and had a shirt made and sent to Idaho for Buhpa.  I can’t wait until he gets it--he deserves it.  And so do I, that’s why I had a second shirt printed just for me.
I once met Mario Andretti.  He said something similar though not so eloquently. Me: "What is your favorite race?" Mario: "Any one I can win."



Last week I got a phone call from Aunt Kellie, “Hey bro. I hear that you are all by yourself.  I have some airline miles and I’m coming to see you.  Like three days later she was here.  We did service projects and went to church, we drove all over L.A. (Lower Alabama), went ghost crabbing and EV test driving.  And we ran every red light between Panama City and Foley Alabama just so we could go to Lambert’s Café together.  It was wonderful.  Thank you Kellie.


Today Mackay was talking with his Buhpa, 

“You know, I have seen a lot of cousins.  Now all I want to do is see my Dad.” 

And that is all he wants too lil buddy.


No comments: