Sunday, May 17, 2009

Baseball and bedtime

I just woke up.  It's 9:45 pm and I just barely woke up.  You see, I took Brig to bed tonight and after we knelt down and said our prayers with mommy she left and I told him stories until we both fell asleep.  

Lately it's been a baseball kick.  He found a glove and ball and has been dragging it all over the house since.  He found my old catchers equipment bag and I think the world stopped, for just a minute or two anyhow while he tore it apart.  He wears helmets and baseball hats, he throws baseballs to his Dad and hits his brother with a bat.  He'll run around the back yard for hours on end yelling "Strike 1!" "Home Run" "You're Out!" "First Base!" "Safe" "Hit in da Sky" and "Brig, bat hit ball".  It's more entertaining than a major league game.  

Two days ago I put Cal to bed.  He didn't want to be put down in his crib and I honestly didn't want to put him down.  So I held him in a mostly dark room as the sun went down.  He is beautiful.  I got to see something really amazing that I'd forgotten how sweet it was.  He fought sleep like a prize fighter and then in this little magical baby moment my one year old boy drifted into passout land while in my arms and only inches from my eyes.  You've never seen a sight so handsome.  

Cal is standing now.  Yesterday he took 5 steps in a row and today he spent a significant amount of time just standing.  He even pivoted on one foot so that he could see what Brig was doing better.  Bless his little heart he woke up from his post church nap with a raging fever though I didn't mind too much because when the little guy is sick he's a little more snugly.  And his mom and I can't get enough of that.  

Last night she and I went on a date to Perini's Ranch.  It's the most amazing Texas steak house in Abilene, which is saying something.  I asked for my prime rib to be medium rare and I kid you not when I tell you 80% of it was not only pink but cold because the heat never made it that far.  If you ever come out to visit us then please let us take you there.  

When I got up to leave Brig this evening he was just barely conscious.  Though enough so to realize I was trying to sneak out of the room.  So he grabbed me and pulled me back in the room and said, "Daddy, lay down. Stay with Briggie." So I continued the forever story of Barney on Coco Island, his favorite bedtime story.  I told him about Barney playing baseball with the Islanders and for some stupid reason they had to count to 100 with their eyes closed.  It was a hypnosis trick that never worked on Brig but by the time I got to 100 in the story I was plum out.  Which is why I'm wide awake now even though I've got to get to bed because I'm flying in the morning.

Maybe I'll go tell the story to Michelle to see if I can put myself to sleep again.  Good night.

1 comment:

Marliese said...

Wow, Adam...Brig and Cal are lucky boys. I am not nearly as patient or fun at my kids' bedtime. Thanks for sharing those priceless moments.