Monday, August 13, 2018

The First Day of School

We just saw Brigham off to catch the bus on his first day of Middle school.

He is attending Woodlawn Beach MS on just the other side of highway 98.  His class schedule includes choir and PE in the morning and Language Arts, History, Math and Earth/Space Science the rest of the day.  Every class is advanced and everyone he seems genuinely excited to start.

The other boys are still asleep but will be up soon; it was just a neat moment, as a pair of middle aged parents, to see our oldest off to a new world this morning.  Michelle has been trying very hard not to project her past middle school anxieties on him.  Which I don't think would really matter if she did with this kid because he just does his own thing any how.

We tried to charge and load an iPod shuffle for him so he'd have something to listen to on the bus.  It didn't work but I'm currently trying to find the soundtracks from a couple of youtube videos he and his friends enjoy.  We worry about the bus a lot.  Not too long ago if you saw something terrible, which invariably you would in Jr. High, it was a fleeting moment and you could easily put it out of your mind.  Today kids are watching horrendous videos and just streaming them on their phones all the way there.  For that reason we are considering letting BG have an iPod just so he can look at his own games and not the stuff on his 'friends' device.

Mackay just woke up.  He never sleeps in but did today, he must have been tired.  I flew all the way back from Utah to Florida so that I could be here this weekend.  I haven't spent much time with my family since I left in April for training.  It's been a bit of a whirlwind.  Michelle really wanted me back so that I could give the boys a father's blessing last night.  She records them and let's them listen periodically throughout the year.  I think that's a pretty great thing and it was my honor last night to have been there.

Mackay begins 5th grade.  He's got the best teacher in the grade, Mr. Duphnee and in the open house last week they really hit it off.  David is starting first grade today with Ms. Fekaris (sp).  Mom and I are going to take him in and walk him into the school this morning.  It's a bit of a mad house but this is our last first grader (pending any surprises).

These boys are amazing.  I love them very much and am amazed at their development.  I know it's a bit cliche but it is a pleasure to be their father and see them grow.

No comments: